Request for Proposals: Marbling

REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS

The Book Arts Press (a laboratory supporting the study of the
history of the book, based at the University of Virginia) wishes
to commission a set of progressive proofs (if that is the correct
term) of a number of standard marbling patterns: typically (for
whisked patterns) a proof sheet showing the surface of the bath
after the first color has been thrown down on its surface, then
successive proofs one done after each further color has been
thrown down; and (for combed patterns) a proof showing the
surface of the bath in the *gitgel* state, then successive
proofs, one done after each further manipulation of the bath to
show the progression of steps leading to nonpareil or French curl
or what have you. We would also want at least a representative
selection of the actual combs used, as well, to show with the
proofs.
        We'd like the samples to be about 11 x 16" in size (ie
smaller than usual for full sheets of marbled paper) so that they
can be used by a single person sitting a desk in a Rare Book
School lab (or wherever) without needing to take up all the flat
surfaces in sight.

We'd like sets for (at least) the following:

        Whisked
                Smooth Body
                Shell
                German
                Hair vein (Italian)
                Agate
                Scrotel
                Stormont
                Gloster
                Spanish
                Drag Spanish
                Moire Spanish
        Combed
                Feather (Gitgel)
                Old Dutch
                Nonpareil
                Nonpareil with a curl
                Curl
                French Curl
                Antique Spot
                Peacock
                Bouquet

If the result seems generally useful, we have some thought of
marketing sets of these proofs (with printed descriptions),
perhaps under the joint imprint of the marbler and the Book Arts
Press (we have a considerable mailing list). Thus the first order
for a set might lead to further orders.

Proposals should include the name and size of the paper to be
used (the BAP would be willing to buy the paper for the marbler
to ease cash-flow problems), the number of sheets deemed
necessary for each of the patterns named above, some indication
of the likely wastage, suggestions for additional patterns not
named above, reservations about providing proofs for any of the
patterns named above, the time lines within which the project
could be completed, the cost per sheet and/or pattern and/or the
project as a whole, and the cost of the combs. An indication of
the marbler's background and experience would be helpful.
Deadline for proposals: 15 January 1997; the samples to be
completed by 1 July 1997.

Meanwhile, the BAP would be glad to hear from libraries or other
institutions that might be interested in buying completed sets of
described proofs, once the first set of proofs is completed and
assuming we're ready to take the show on the road.

--
Terry Belanger  :  University Professor  :   University of Virginia
Book Arts Press : 114 Alderman Library : Charlottesville, VA  22903