Hands and other etching tools

I am a printmaker who indulges in the alchemy to be gained when acid
meets plates for extensive periods.  The problem that this incurs is
that the edges developed out of these wonderful almost Proustian
things are lethal.  In fact, I am at the moment nursing a very
mutilated paw from simply wiping a plate.  Is there any solution to
this, or can I anticipate my hands developing the texture and surface
of an animals paws in the not-too-distant future?

Robyn
mephisto@xxxxxxxxxxxx