Information on Leather Manufacture

On 31st December, Bonnie Borthwick wrote:

<<<On the leather subject, can anyone recommend books or other resources (web,
etc.) on leather in general? I only know what I'm buying from asking at the
shops I buy from, but I'd be interested to have some reference on the
different types of leather (which animals, etc.), as well as an overview of
the tanning process, how skins/hides are dyed, etc...>>>

Please feel free to have a look at our site where there are several pages
relating to leather manufacture.  Apart from the following pages which are
specific to our own products,

http://www.hewit.com/typesofl.htm - Types of Leather
http://www.hewit.com/archival.htm - Archival Leathers
http://www.hewit.com/alumtawe.htm - Alum Tawed Leather

we are also running a series of articles in our news letter, 'Skin Deep' on 'The
Manufacture of Leather'.  So far we have published parts 1 and 2 covering a
brief history and sources of leather, abattoir practises, curing, de-hairing,
liming and general preparation of skins prior to tanning.

Volume 3 of Skin Deep will be published on our site within the next few weeks
and we will be including part 3 of the 'Manufacture of Leather'.

Our newsletter can be accessed at http://www.hewit.com/skindeep.htm with parts 1
and 2 of the 'Manufacture of leather' at http://www.hewit.com/sd1-leat.htm and
http://www.hewit.com/sd2-leat.htm respectively.

I hope you enjoy reading these articles,

best wishes,

David

David Lanning
J. Hewit & Sons Ltd