Re: attaching files

On Sat, 4 Jan 1997, Peter D. Verheyen wrote:

> Iris,
> When you are in Word, save it as an ASCII text file, then attach that. Word
> is very specific, even more so because it for Windows. As not everyone uses
> a particular piece of software, ASCII is universally the standard.
 >
> Peter
>
> At 05:33 PM 1/4/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >Hi.....thanks to all who have welcomed me to the list! I've had quite a few
> >catalog requests, and tried to e-mail them by attaching a file, but it
> >doesn't get through. I have it in Word For Windows and it says it's a
> >binary file. Tried to change it to "text"but it jumps back to binary, and I
> >get a message saying it can't be sent. Any ideas out there for a confused
> >beginner?????Thanks, Iris Nevins

Mirosoft's version of ASCII text isn't as universal as one would like.
Save your MS Word .doc as a MS DOS plain text file type with a .TXT
extension.  The Windows SAVE AS dialogue box will give you both
options.  A secondary Windows dialogue box we tell you that your file's
formating will not be saved, ignore that and choose MS DOS plain text
each time you are asked.  Part of the problem is due to Windows, which in
cut and paste procedures will include command codes, that messes up your
text transfer.  The DOS only procedure always works for me.

Good luck

     M I C H A E L   M O R I N                M.F.A., M.L.S.

Director Celtic Press               Instructional Media Librarian
  Buffalo  New York                  D'Youville College Library
                    ba202@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
         Co-Moderator Buffalo Free-Net Preservation SIG