Re: Definition of "Rare Book" produced currently .

A book printed in 500 copies in the sixteenth century would not likely
be considered "rare" (in the rare-book community) unless, by some chance,
most of the 500 copies are known to have been destroyed.  "Rare on the
market" is another thing;  if 322 copies of the 500 originally printed
of the sixteenth century book are known to be in libraries, then one
might appropriately say that the book is rare on the market.  Many rare
book librarians -- and writers on the subject of rare books -- balk at
the idea of calling the Gutenberg Bible rare;  of the 200 or so copies
thought to have been printed, forty-some are known to exist;  if I'm not
mistaken, all of these are currently in libraries -- but a copy which
had been in a library was sold in the late 1980's, when the library was
sold (The Doheny Library in Camarillo, CA, a library owned by the catholic
archdiocese of LA), and not a few others have been sold in the past fifty
years.  I'd be very careful of using the word "rare" for anything modern
printed in fewer than, say, fifty copies.  I'm not sure *why* you'd even
want to use the word, except possibly as advertising hype (no offense
intended, but this is a listserv for artisans and scholars)

Regards
Dave Klappholz
(whose experience is mostly in the rare book world rather than in the
book arts world)