New Leather Cover For a Good Old Book

Hi all!

I have a book of Norman Rockwell prints that I would like to give my mom
for her birthday.  It has some sort of cloth cover now and though the
letters are nicely embossed gold, the cloth looks a little dirty.  I
thought it would be nice to give it a special leather cover with gold
lettering, and even nicer if I could do it all myself.

As I have never done anything like this before and have potential access to
advice from experts here I thought I'd ask.  Any help will be deeply
appreciated (that is except for advice to leave it to experts - I have to
have my fun you know :-) ).

Some questions I have are:

Can I cover over the original cover, or should it be removed?

Can I use the old boards?

What is the best board material to use with leather?  Glue?

Do you know of a book that contains good instructions for this sort of
project?

BTW The book in question is by Thomas s. Buechner, titled "Norman Rockwell,
Artist and Illustrator", published by Harry N. Abrams, Inc., New York,
copyright 1970.  It's dimensions are 12 1/2" x 17 1/4" high.

Thank you in advance, very much.

John Hoelzl (johnnygalt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Cleveland, OH