fixitive for illumninations

I have just been commissioned to bind a book which is hand lettered and
illuminated on parchment (vellum).  The illumination is a mixture of
acrylic and gouache, and the client is nervous about its durability.  He
wants to spray it with some sort of fixative, which I have advised against.
I am inclined to leave well enough alone, but I did promise to ask about
the possibility of fixing the paintings with something more natural and
predictable.  I thought of size made from vellum scraps.  Has anyone any
experience or ideas on this?

Yehuda Miklaf <mfritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>