Re: req: Lynd Ward

Lynd Ward was a contemporary of Rockwell Kent, Aaron Douglas and Clare
Leighton, and John Vassos, about whose work I have written a bibliography.
In 1995 his work was featured among those previously mentioned in the
exhibition, The Ardent Image: Book Illustration for Adults in America,1920 -
1942, at the Ward M. Canaday Center of the University of Toledo. The
exhibition was curated by Judith M. Friebert.

Ward "wrote" Gods Man, The Mad Man's Drum, and two others whose titles I
don't recollect. In a nutshell, these novels have no words, the story being
told in a progression of woodcuts, and quite effectively.

Peter

At 04:23 PM 2/13/97 -0600, you wrote:
>with the risk of sounding dumb, what's a `woodcut book?'
>I am a printmaker, too, and I must have been sick that day...

                  >>> I love working in the library. <<<

Conservation Librarian                                  <fax> 315.443.9510
Syracuse University Library                <email> pdverhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Syracuse University               <www> http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey
Syracuse, NY 13244                  <listmgr> Book_Arts-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx