Re: Nasty Purple Stamp

You wrote 10 Feb at 21:20

>MAIN PROBLEM: There is a purple library stamp (2 lines) on both sides of the
>t.p. and on the verso of the last printed leaf. The ink does not bleed
>through. The paper appears to be lightly coated.  The ph pen indicates a low
>ph, naturally.  I haven't done anything to anything at this point.
>Suggestions solicited and welcomed.

>Sam Lanham (slanham@xxxxxxxx)

My copy of Arthur Johnson's book, 'Book Repair and Conservation', 1988 suggests
for 'stamp ink stains' which are very difficult to remove either using
-       plastic erasers with cuttlefish bone (!), but be careful not to thin
the paper too much,
-       calcium hypochlorite solution if stain is weak, or
-       solution of 0.5 % potassium permanganate with 0.4% orthophosphoric
acid.

The latter two approaches require dealing with the residual chemicals
(neutralising, washing, deacidifying and sizing) and and pretty well determine
that you will need to disbind the book to treat the stained leaves in a bath.

I would be interested to hear of any other methods as I have not had the
problem yet!  The calcium hypochlorite is very good against mould stains.

Rodney Fry
Berks, England
< rod.fry@xxxxxxxx>