Re: req: Lynd Ward

Harry Abrams published a book called "Storyteller without words: the wood
engravings of Lynd Ward" which has text about the books by the artist
himself. It contains Gods' man, Madman's drum, Wild pilgrimage, Prelude to
a million years, Song without words, Vertigo, and various individual
illustrations and prints. It was published in 1974. It is an absolutely
beautiful and powerful book!

At 05:34 PM 2/13/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Lynd Ward was a contemporary of Rockwell Kent, Aaron Douglas and Clare
>Leighton, and John Vassos, about whose work I have written a bibliography.
>In 1995 his work was featured among those previously mentioned in the
>exhibition, The Ardent Image: Book Illustration for Adults in America,1920 -
>1942, at the Ward M. Canaday Center of the University of Toledo. The
>exhibition was curated by Judith M. Friebert.
>
>Ward "wrote" Gods Man, The Mad Man's Drum, and two others whose titles I
>don't recollect. In a nutshell, these novels have no words, the story being
>told in a progression of woodcuts, and quite effectively.
>
>Peter
>
>At 04:23 PM 2/13/97 -0600, you wrote:
>>with the risk of sounding dumb, what's a `woodcut book?'
>>I am a printmaker, too, and I must have been sick that day...
>

>                  >>> I love working in the library. <<<
>>>There is something to be said for working in a place bound in leather.<<
>
>Peter D. Verheyen                                        <wk> 315.443.9937
>Conservation Librarian                                  <fax> 315.443.9510
>Syracuse University Library                <email> pdverhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Syracuse University               <www> http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey
>Syracuse, NY 13244                  <listmgr> Book_Arts-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Shireen Holman, Printmaker and Book Artist
email: (tholman@xxxxxxxxx)