Offering: Five on Papermaking

Thought some of you might be interested in these.

DO NOT REPLY TO THE LIST. REPLY ONLY TO Chris Hagen
<chrisha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 03:55:54 -0800
>From: Chris Hagen <chrisha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: Rare Books list <rare-books@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Offering: Five on Papermaking
>Sender: owner-rare-books@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

>  <====================================================================>
>  <==          An Offering from the Rare Books Mailing List          ==>
>  <====================================================================>
>

>Powell's books is pleased to offer the following five titles
>on papermaking.
>
>1> (Japanese Papermaking) Barrett, Timothy. HON-MINOGAMI.
>Arrow Art Works. 1978. Japanese binding in tan paper with a paper
>label. Titled in Japanese on a paper label on the front cover.
>Text in Japanese & English. Numerous illustrations and photographs
>of the process of making Hon-minogami. 13 sample sheets bound in at
>the rear of the work. A very good, very clean copy.
>$50.00
>
>2> (Japanese Papermaking) Barrett, Timothy. SEKISHU-HANSHI.
>Arrow Art Works. 1978. Japanese binding in salmon colored paper.
>Title in Japanese on a paper label on the front cover. Text in
>Japanese & English. Numerous illustrations & photographs of the
>process of making Sekishu-hanshi. 30 sample sheets bound in at the
>rear of the work. A bright copy in very good condition.
>$50.00
>
>3> (Japanese Papermaking) Hughes, Sukey. WASHI THE WORLD OF JAPANESE
>PAPER>. Tokyo, New York & San Francisco. 1978. First trade edition.
>Pale tan linen over boards, titled in redish-brown lettering on the
>spine. Illustrated, with color & B&W photographs of the products &
>processes of papermaking in Japan.  A beautiful copy, near fine in a
>very good dust jacket & slipcase.
>$200.00
>
>4> Thomas, Peter & Thomas, Donna. PAPERMAKING IN SEVENTEENTH CENTURY
>ENGLAND. Santa Cruz. 1990. Peter & Donna Thomas. Roughly 6 1/2" x
>4 3/4". Cased in full brown leather with raised bands. Titled in gold on
>the front board only. Printed letterpress on paper handmade by the author,
>woodcuts by Donna Thomas. The text contains excerpts from the diary of
>John Evelyn & Celia Fiennes' account of a visit to Barton Mill. Two
>tipped in paper samples, a reproduction of seventeenth century brown paper
>& a fragment from an incomplete copy Kebles "Reports" serve as examples.
>Near fine in a very good brown cloth slipcase.
>$165.00
>
>5> Weygand, James Lamar. THE WEYGAND TIGHTWAD BEATER, ITS DESIGN
>& CONSTRUCTION.  Private Press of the Indiana Kid. 1970. Quarter leather,
>salmon colored paper over boards. Roughly 6 3/8" x 4 3/4".
>One of 100 copies on IK's antique laid paper, made by the author at his
>Weygand Tightwad Mill. Illustrated with diagrams of the machine, one
>fold-out, Printers' devices & a paper sample bound in.  The spine
>edges are a trifle rubbed, with a little soiling & fading to the front
> [...]

Conservation Librarian                                   <fax>315.443.9510
Syracuse University Library                 <email>pdverhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Syracuse University                <www>http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey
Syracuse, NY 13244                 <Listowner>Book_Arts-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx