Re: How does one learn bookbinding?

If you want to take classes, the Guild of Book Workers Maintains its "Study
Opportunities List" online at the Guild's site
<http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/gbw/>. The list is organized by state.
There are "apprenticeship" opportunities occasionally in this country, but
you really should be willing to commit for a certain period of time, 2 years
not being unreasonable. This has (at least) two reasons. 1) You're going to
be costing the proprietor for a while, and he/she will want a return on
investment. 2) The only real way to learn is by repetition at progressively
higher levels. That takes time. There are a number of binderies which have
web sites (check out the Book Arts Links at
<http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey>) and they might be hiring. You could
also approach some libraries which have preservation programs. Entry level
would be basic book repair, but you could move up, depending on whose
managing the program.

Hope this helps, Peter

At 02:49 PM 3/6/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I would like to take up bookbinding as an avocation and possibly as a
>profession. I am interested in learning ordinary binding techniques (hollow
>back cloth or buckram) in addition to fine leather binding and restoration
>work. I have heard of the binders who travel to England and work as
>apprentices for years. Is this the only way  to become a professional? I am
>currently building up a library of books on bookbinding. Any advice from the
>bookbinders out there would be greatly appreciated!
>
>Bonefolder
>

>>>                    I love working in the library.                  <<<

Conservation Librarian                                   <fax>315.443.9510
Syracuse University Library                 <email>pdverhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Syracuse University                <www>http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey
Syracuse, NY 13244                 <Listowner>Book_Arts-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx