Re: Dove Gray Paper

At 01:32 PM 3/10/97 EST, you wrote:
>I have tested my Dove Gray paper which I bought from Archivart and have
>found it to be acidic.  I used the Abbey pH pen.
>
>Jennifer Woods
>Library Company of Philadelphia
>1314 Locust Street
>Philadelphia, PA  19107

This is fairly long so pitch it if you're not interested in the question.

I believe that all the Mohawk papers are made using the alkaline paper
manufacturing process pioneered in the 1920's by the S.D. Warren Co., and
therefore meet the ANSI/NISO "Permanence of Paper" standard Z39.48-1992. I
don't know about Archivart, it must be a specialty paper not commonly used
by book and publication printers. Basically the standard is a pH of 7.0 to
10.0, exclusive of coating, if any; min. average machine direction tear
index of 3.50; alkaline reserve equivalent to 2% calcium carbonate; and no
more than 1% lignin. I served on the committee that developed the NISO
standard, and there were strong arguments for paper with a high pH but more
lignin being permanent, other than discoloring, but there was no argument
from any paper manufacturer that acidic paper should be considered
permanent. It might be of interest that the mills who undertook the
considerable investment to change over to the alkaline manufacturing
process did so not because of a concern for the longevity of the paper, but
because they could get a payback in the cost of making the paper after a
number of years and make cheaper paper. The market for archival paper is so
small that the mills couldn't care less about it, other than perhaps
Warren, who promoted it early on because they were the only large mill
doing it. Now quite a number of mills are alkaline.

The next big concern, and a bandwagon worth jumping on in my opinion, is
chlorine-free paper, which has made strong inroads in Europe but not so far
in the U.S. Some mills are "elemental chlorine free," meaning they use
chlorine but supposedly don't dump dioxins in the river, but very few are
using the chlorine-free process found in some European mills. I recommend
asking your suppliers to find out about it, and putting a little pressure
on. The mills are tuned into environmental complaints, unlike the adidic
paper issue.

If you were bored, you were forewarned!

Guy
Guy Dresser                          gDresser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Allen Press, Incorporated                       913-843-1234
Lawrence, Kansas 66044                     FAX: 913-843-1244