List FAQ

Time again for this periodic mailing.

"Our" homepage is located at <http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey>. Here you will
find a constantly updated list of "Book Arts Links" and resources including
tutorials as well as the Book Arts Gallery. The Book_Arts-L archives located at
CoOL can be accessed via the "Book_Arts-L FAQ" button on the main page or
directly at <http://palimpsest.stanford.edu> the home of CoOL (Conservation
Online). We are located under "mailing lists" about halfway down Walter's
list of offerings. Here you will find these instructions on permanent
display and the list archives.

New items which have been added include:

In "Book Arts Links"
SHARP Web: Society for the History of Authorship, Reading & Publishing. Many
links related to the history of the book, publishing, printing and the bookarts
A Bibliography of Bookbinding Manuals.
The Philobiblon of Richard de Bury (NOW in HTML)
Basic Paper Treatments for Printed Book Materials: By Peter Verheyen
(Published in the Guild of Book Workers Journal, Spring 1991)
Two Tutorials by Ed Hutchins, one on Tunnel Books and the other on what he
calls the magic box.
ART on and of PAPER: Handmade Paper Art Objects by Jean Marvell
Rag & Bone Bindery
Josee Van Loon: Bookbinder / Conservator in Ghent, Belgium.
The Manufacture of Paper: Dates from March 1854.
For preservation/conservation links check out the second link in the
conservation section.

In "Book Arts Gallery"
WordHangers: a new exhibit at the Hemingway Western Studies Center at Boise
State University. Opens March 20
Susan Hensel: Book Art.
The Art of the Book: Rare Printed Books from the University of Liverpool
Library.
John Depol: creator of wood-engraved images of great beauty and serenity,
principally for limited edition, hand-printed books.
Czech Avant - Garde: European Art and Photography in Book Design, 1922 -
1940. An exhibit at the Williamson Gallery of the Art Center College of
Design in Pasadena, CA.

As always, if subscribers have suggestions for links, please let me know via
the "Feedback Form"

Peter Verheyen, Listmgr.

About Book_Arts-L

Book_Arts-L is a mailing list based at Syracuse University, and managed by
Peter Verheyen.It was founded it in July of 1994. It currently claims over 700
subscribers worldwide. While a good number are practicing bookbinders and
book-artists, there are also marblers, papermakers, printers, collectors,
curators in libraries, and people just interested in our wide and varied field.

The list remains unmoderated and all members are free to post anything they
feel might be of interest to others. We do ask that you keep your postings
on subject though. This has included everything from discussions such as
what is a book, to technical Q&A, to offerings of services and supplies by
vendors. If you are interested in subscribing to Book_Arts-L send a message
to listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx The message should read:

subscribe Book_Arts-L Your Name

You will then receive a message telling you how to change you subscription
options.

To receive a copy of your postings send the message: set Book_Arts-L mail
repro. By default you DO NOT receive copies of your postings.

To postpone your mail, for vacation, send the message:
set Book_Arts-L nomail

To receive your postings again later, send the message:
set Book_Arts-L mail repro

To receive a larger message every day or so, instead of many small
ones, send the message:
set Book_Arts-L mail digest

To unsubscribe send the message:
unsub Book_Arts-L

These messages should all be sent to listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All this information is also available via the web in the Book_Arts-L
Archive accessible through "our" homepage. The url is:
http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey and then all you need to do is click on
the "Book_Arts-L FAQ" graphic.

                  >>> I love working in the library. <<<

Conservation Librarian                                  <fax> 315.443.9510
Syracuse University Library                <email> pdverhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Syracuse University               <www> http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey
Syracuse, NY 13244                  <listmgr> Book_Arts-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx