Re: If it's good, it's art ...

At 04:50 PM 3/19/97 -0200, you wrote:
>I find the discussion of "art" vs "craft" similar to that of "professional"
>vs "amateur".  I have "done" puppets, calligraphy and hand bookbinding for
>a long time, but =I= never thought of myself as a "professional" in any of
>these fields since I did not derive my principal income from them, nor did
>I remain "true" in my efforts to just one.  True, I have been "paid" for
>these skills (arts ??), but in my own judgement, I was never a "professional".
>Sadly, the terms "artist" and "professional" are often, even usually,
>decided by financial gain - at least in the present day world and in the
>minds of many.  Maybe I'm just a snob, but personally, I find that some of
>the "art" and "craft" that I see, regardless of the price to be inferrior.

Most of the people I know who are artists (including poets, painters,
sculptors, and many more) don't get much, if any, financial gain from their
work. Some of those we celebrate from our history didn't get any such gain
for the work in their own lives.

When does art become craft? -- the question seems to beg for a definition of
the "imagination" -- although I don't know if I even think of fine
craftsmanship as requiring only "technical" skill, as distinct from
imaginative vision. I agree with all who have said that the question seems
ultimately unresolvable, although it can be endlessly illuminating to ponder.

Light blue and the same red with purple makes a change. It shows that there
is no mistake. Any pink shows that and very likely it is reasonable.
     Gertrude Stein, from "A Substance In A Cushion," in TENDER BUTTONS
Charles Alexander
Chax Press
chax@xxxxxxxxxxxx