Re: identifying toolmakers from marks

At 00:50 20/3/97 the query was posted ...

>  *Note* A friend wrote me, and I decided to forward this to the list.  It
>made me wonder if there was any information about historic binding toolmakers
>in general-...............

The following may be interest in response to the listing of a 19C toolmaker.
On a French standing press is the the cast-iron name plate some 6" x 4" with
the legend
'Hampson & Bettridge,
Ruling Machine,
Bookbinders, Press & Tool
Manufacturers.
47&48 Old Bailey
London E.C.'

I have a wooden lying press with their name impressed on the end grain of the
cheeks as
Hampson and Bettridge & Co Ltd, London.

I contacted some time ago Guildhall Library as  a good source of extant
Directories for the period.  I was advised they were at the above address from
1861 to 1864 inclusive, but then they moved anumber times.   They apparently
disappeared in 1971, being I believe taken over by Worsley-Brehmer Ltd located
in Liverpool.   Whether their records have been lost I have not been able to
determine as a letter of enquiry was not answered.

I have some old brass fillets and rolls rescued from an antique dealer.  They
appeared old and possibly Georgian.  The names marked on the brass faces were
Paas  26, High Holborn London
Timbury  Fetter Lane London
Gooding  16, City Road  [London?]

I again approached Guildhall Library who kindly supplied the following data
from London Directories:
1821-1830       John Paas & Co/Paas & Co, engravers and stationers, 26, High
Holborn
1831-33  "                      "   , engravers & bookbinders, tool cutters,
44, High
Holborn.
1831-37 Philip Gooding, engraver and printer, 16, Commercial Place, City Road
ca 1800-1880    Timbury, engraver and printer, bookbinders' tool cutters, 104
Fetter Lane
                (entries under James, William and Frederick Timbury; later
Timbury                         and Appleby)
1881 - ?        Timbury and Appleby, 53, Paternoster Row, E.C.
With the aid of friend and lathe some of the rolls have had the centre bolt
repaired and the damaged edges resurfaced - the rolls can now be use once again
rather than sit useless.  All are brass, except for two are steel and one is
bronze; but only a few have names stamped on them.

I have a some hand tools and rolls acquired later these include the names Paas
(as above),
Morris & Co, 55, Ludgate St, London
Balle Surrey & Co, 5, St Dunstans Ct, Fleet St,London
Frank Baker, 82  [unreadable] St
Timbury   London(in italic)
Knights & Cottrell  [no place]
T Clark [no place, marked 3 times each side of the roll]
Brook, 302(?) Strand, London

Whether these makers exported their tools I do not know.  It seems likely some
arrived in N. America, but the increasing industrialisation in the later 1800s
must have enabled an indigenous tool cutting industry to grow, I have no doubt.

Rodney Fry
Berkshire, England.
<  rod.fry@xxxxxxxx  >