Re: Cute but stupid

>Yesterday I was at Bill de Kooning's funeral. St. Luke's church in East
>Hampton was filled with a generation of artists who triumphed over the
>ignorance and closed vision that gave rise to comments like the Stoppard
>quote (which, as part of a standup comedy routine in Las Vegas 30 years ago,
>may have been amusing). At yesterday's gathering those who participated in
>and were influenced by the revolution in visual art which began in New York
>in the 1940's paid their final respects to the artist who was at the center
>of it all.

and who kept at such work as long as he possibly could. What a wonder to see
some of his last paintings in a show last year?

>25 tears ago I was up against this sort of attitude in the conservative
>world of bookbinding.

Unfortunately one encounters it everywhere. I certainly encounter it all the
time with regard to writing. And there one encounters it perhaps most
frequently in universities, in creative writing programs which value 'clear
expression' and 'personal voice' over anything which embodies artistic
exploration and experimentation.

>Beware of uptight reactionary bibliophiles, and the hacks who provide them
>with product for their collections. They will try to undermine anything
>beyond their comprehension in an effort to make their view more valuable.

Thanks for this, Richard.

charles

Light blue and the same red with purple makes a change. It shows that there
is no mistake. Any pink shows that and very likely it is reasonable.
     Gertrude Stein, from "A Substance In A Cushion," in TENDER BUTTONS
Charles Alexander
Chax Press
chax@xxxxxxxxxxxx