Re: Cute but stupid

Right on, Lisa !!

I have never cared for it either and I DON'T think this is from a lack of
artistic appreciation or intellect, but rather from an abundance of good
judgement.  Once, at the Guggenheim in NYC I saw what to my mind was the
ultimate in the "conceit" of so-called modern art.  It consisted of a
series of "panels", apparently stretched canvas, approximately 2" x 3",
hung in the "portrait" orientation and each consisted of a single color,
red, yellow, orange, etc.  There were about five or six of them, all just
flat surfaces, no texture, brushstrokes or whatever.  I don't "think" I
could have done that, I know damned well I could.  The conceit was in the
probably enormous price being asked for them as a "piece" as I'm sure they
must have been meant to be a "set".
Abstraction taken to the extreme is merely the absurd.
As to the two-year-old being able to "do it", I recall once walking through
the gallery of the fine arts building when a student with a friend who had
a kindergartener along.  They were hanging a "modern" exhibit and the head
of the art department and the artist were "arranging" the exhibit.  The
child looked around in wonder and remarked, "Gee, Daddy, I didn't know they
had a kindergarten over here, too !".  The Head and the Artist were
appalled, of course.  I thought it rather a persipicatious observation ! <g>

At 12:15 PM 3/24/97 -0500, you wrote:
>> There are people today who still say "my 2-year old can paint better than
>> that," and who just don't get it -- they think "modern art" is not based on
>> skill. I don't pity those individuals-- I just don't have time for them.
>
>I must confess that I have never cared for modern art.  Maybe it's because
>I don't understand it.  Perhaps someone can explain to me how paint
>spattered on a canvas at random or a larged stripe painted on a white
>background constitutes art.

_____

>Lisa Cheung
>Dept. of Biology