Fw: best archival adhesive

As an alternative to Thymol I use oil of clove, available at herbal shops
and health food stores. It too acts as a preservative, which is good for me
since I am only able to to little bits of works over  many days and it is
too hard to keep making fresh batches for only a few strokes.  With
refridgeration and the clove oil the paste keeps for a couple of weeks with
no apparent problem.  I haven't tried longer storage.

Lee Cooper
----------
> From: Stephanie Watkins <swatkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: best archival adhesive
> Date: Thursday, March 27, 1997 11:44 AM
>
> At 09:01 AM 3/27/97 -0500, Lilias at Saltwinds Yankee Barn Workshop
wrote:

> >You can add a few drops of thymol in alcohol if you think you need some
> >preservative.
>
> Just be careful when using Thymol.  It can be hazardous to your health
and
> is unnecessary if you use the paste immediately.  Those of you concerned
> with preservation will probably not wish to use it at all, as the
chemical
> is then in your paste next to your paper until the paste is removed.
>
> You can also cook wheat starch paste in the microwave to get smaller "one
> day" amounts without having to do the "double-boiler,
stir-forever-routine."