Etching on unconventional supports

Dear Book Arts People

For a while I have been making drypoints of my work on disused x-ray
plates.  They are a bit of a nightmare to wipe, but can produce some
interesting effects, although frequently not the same wealth of burr
and hence deliciously furry lines that can be produced with metal
plates.  Does anyone know whether x-ray or slide or negative film can
be etched with a corrosive medium?  It is important that the medium
bites very slowly because of the thinness of the material.  I know
that caustic soda with a wax stop out works nicely for linoleum.  Any
solutions or potential ones?

Keen to experiment
Robyn Sassen
mephisto@xxxxxxxxxxxx