Re: Banana paper -Reply

Kathy, I think that you are perhaps over stating the position about
the over abundance of elephant dung in S.A - indeed it could
become a scarce resource (if a resource it is) in the fullness of
time.  Be that as it may, I'll try to make some enquiries about the
process & let you know  -  it may take some time as pressure of
work , as always, dictates. If I have some of the paper I'll send an
example to you & Colette - if not I'll buy some for that purpose,
although I've only seen it on sale up north close to the Kruger
National Park area . Please let me have your postal address.

Alan Feinstein
acf@xxxxxxxxx

>>> Kath <khamre@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 4/April/1997 01:11am >>>
Hi Debbie and other book lovers,

You wrote:
>     My 80 yr. old mother just returned from trekking the rain
forest
<snip> large sheets of banana paper <snip> very thick, stiff and
grainy,
almost like finely ground and compressed hay.  I imagine they
must make a
finer banana paper.
>    Has anyone heard of the paper that they are making from
elephant dung, I
>believe in Africa?  This particular paper industry, apparently has
been a
>tremendous "boon" to the problem with what to do with the
over-abundance of
>elephant dung in that country. I believe I am remembering
these facts
>correctly. Hope this is of some interest!

I spent some time in Africa/South Africa in 1994/95.  The only
place I saw
elephant/rhino dung paper was in South Africa, and then I saw
only a few
greeting cards made from it.  I make handmade paper and I am
quite sure that
what I saw was mixed with cotton,  it could not be only elephant
dung.  I
have a card made from it that I bought there.  I did not see any
large
quantities of it being sold in any of the shops I went into, but I
wasn't
able to find any art supply stores where I was traveling - mainly
out in the
country.  I would be interested if anyone knows about this too.

I an in the middle of doing an edition book bout my travels and
some dung
paper would be a nice addition to the book.

Kathy in Saskatchewan, Canada

              khamre@xxxxxxxxxxxx
            esimpson@xxxxxxxxxxxx