banana paper

I mostly just lurk on your delightful list, but I've loved the
stuff on "banana  paper". When I took a papermaking workshop
several years ago, the instructor wanted us to have the experience
of trying different materials in papermaking.
  While the base for most was cotton linters, we did also use abaca
fiber. I think she bought all the supplies from a store in Oakland
that sells papermaking supplies, equipment, etc.   It seemed as if
it were a standard kind of thing.
  Our local art supply store also sells wonderful hand-made papers,
and I'm sure I've seen abaca amongst them.

(Like many plant fibers, it's also used to spin into threads for
weaving, esp. in Okinawa)

Susan Fatemi

susanf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx