Re: Artists' books in the library (fwd)

At 09:21 AM 4/10/97 -0400, you wrote:

>On the other hand, a library catalog is a tool for scholars to locate
>items in collections; what would be left for scholars of artists' books
>to do if all the information anyone would ever want to know about an item
>appeared in the library catalog?
>
>Clara Keyes
>Special Collections Librarian
>Descriptive Bibliographer of Fine Press Books
>Book Arts Enthusiast
>And so on . . .

Without 3rd level cataloging with an informative note field worth searching
for, scholars are dependant upon the involvement and interests of the
special collections professionals.  My experience as an artist, scholar and
librarian has been exstremly hit and miss.  If the uncataloged or under
cataloged item is outside the interest or experience of the collections'
managers, it will often be overlooked or not recommended to a scholar
visiting your collection.  If institutions don't wish to pay for proper
cataloging  why own such works in the first place?  I f there is no access,
the purpose of scholarly research is limited.

As a printer of such works I provide all the detailed notes any cataloger
could need.  The problem is that many libraries have cut out such cataloging
as too costly.  I understand the cost involved, but in the case of artists'
books the notes explain everything and are of great importance to
researchers using on line electronic catalogs for searching for unique works.

Regards

      M I C H A E L   M O R I N                  M.F.A., M.L.S.
    Director Celtic Press                Instructional Media Librarian
     Buffalo  New York                   D'Youville College Library
                           ba202@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
       Member Buffalo Free-Net Executive Board of Directors