Re: BACKING CLOTH

At 08:31 PM 4/15/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Can anyone tell me which Japanese paper is used for backing cloth to use for
>covering a book AND which adhesive should be used to do that?

The traditional washi for backing is Usumino ("thin Mino") and it is
available by the sheet at about $5 from Aiko's Art Supply in Chicago.  A
machine made version available in sheets and in rolls is stock # MM-1, from
Hiromi Paper International, Inc., 310-306-8008, in Marina del Rey, CA. I
buy it by the roll. Since there is little grain you can avoid most of the
waste. Both sheets have good wet strength and smooth surfaces.

I use wheat flour paste on most fabrics. Silk brocades, however, do not
seem to dampen evenly and tend to roll up like a window shade.  So for them
I use a double-sided heat set adhesive and an ordinary household iron.  I
use Seal Archival Mount, listed on page 72 of the current Light Impressions
catalogue, ph. 1-800-828-6216.

Back well,

Sam Lanham

Sam Lanham (slanham@xxxxxxxx)