Greenish Vellum

Hello all-

I recently purchased some goat vellum that has a slightly greenish tinge
to it, especially visible in artificial light. The tannery where I bought
it said they thought the colour *may* have come from the fact that they
had been chroming leather in the vat before the vellum, but all in all
were rather evasive on the subject. Does anyone know if this is a likely
cause? And are there any potential ramifications in terms of the
durability of the vellum?

Thanks,

Mac

PS I vote for moderation (in moderation, of course).
MacLaren North, Assistant Director
Archaeological Computing Lab
Main Quad               Ph:  +61 2 9351 3142
University of Sydney    Fax: +61 2 9351 4889
Sydney NSW 2006         north@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Australia               http://www.archaeology.usyd.edu.au/