[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Kelsey 5x8 platen adjustment
- To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Kelsey 5x8 platen adjustment
- From: Rommel John Miller <rjmiller1095@xxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 00:44:24 EDT
- Message-id: <199704240444.VAA30367@SUL-Server-2.Stanford.EDU>
- Sender: "The Book Arts: binding, typography, collecting" <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Brothers and Sisters in the Craft.
Been playing around with my recently acquired Kelsey Excelsior,
Model "P" and am having a modicum of difficulty setting the platen screws
to acheive and nice, crisp, clean and even result. Have tried tinkering
around with the screws myself and have also tried adding sheets behind
the tympan, but I still can't seem to get as nice an impression as I get
on the Vandercook. Can anyone suggest how to adjust the tension on the
platen? Is there a book or video or a gap-gauge that would help? Or,
and this is PURE conjecture, would using a type-high gauge from
back-plate to tympan, adjusting the five screws to that distance work?
And if so does anyone have a spare type-high gauge they can send me or at
least sell to me cheap?
Just asking for a little bit of advice, after all I'm still a
novice and have MUCH to learn.
All the best,
Rommel John Miller rjmiller1095@xxxxxxxx
12544 Selsey Rd
Ocean City, MD 21842-9128 (410) 213-0082 (voice/fax/data)