Re: Repair <- vs -> conserve, a new thread.....

At 01:23 AM 4/29/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Sue Dunlap wrote:
>

>>I am in the process of starting my own book repair business.

 it's unethical. First of all. if you are starting a
>repair business why don't you focus on old cars or worn
>washing-machines ? That's what a repair man (woman) does: repair
>broken machinery.

>But, this has nothing to do with restoration or conservation.
>So, if you ask for a price for "repairing" a "church book" I would
>suggest $ 1,95 (all in)......
>

>Sorry,

At least the apology was appropriate.

 Are we in for another of our semantic debates? I have repaired books and
restored printing presses; I have restored books and repaired paper
cutters. There may be a legitimate distinction between the verbs restore,
repair, and conserve, but all of them can be applied to books, blimps, and
washing machines.

Sam Lanham (slanham@xxxxxxxx)