Re: Repair <- vs -> conserve

Peter,

In your own practice, charging $50.00 an hour, you would file for
bankruptcy faster than you started business. The average cost to
maintain a working studio is about $3000.00 a month, on the cheap. I
include rent or mortgage, utilities and heat, insurance and
transportation. At $50 an hour , you need to work 60 hours just to meet
your very basic expenses. You now have three and a half week to start
producing income. Out of that you can kiss 20 hours good bye on various
monkey business like phone calls, deliveries, interviews and  proposals
to clients .
You are left with 2 1/2 weeks of gross income or 100 hours at $50,
$5000.00, trimmed down to $3400 after taxes, for a whooping $42.800
annually.
Notice that I have not deducted machinery and tools costs, various
supplies and hidden expenses like accountants or lawyers fees. Also this
scheme does not deduct any vacation time or sick days, at $400 a day,
every 10 days not working is $4000.00 less in your income. I have also
taken the optimist road of an always busy place, which is not always the
case. In reality, at $50.00 an hour your annual salary would be closer
to $20.000 a year if you take Murphy's law in consideration. Not much to
live on and educate your kids. May as well work as a plumber, at least,
you meet people and you charge greatly for your expertise. Why not
charge the same as lawyers or doctors, it takes as long to learn our
trade as it takes to learn theirs.
Peter, raise your hourly fee, people in the trade with private practices
can not compete with your low rates.

Denis

Peter D. Verheyen wrote:

  LET' KEEP THIS CIVIL and avoid personal denigrating attacks. I
  personally
  find this discussion perfectly valid and something the profession
  needs to
  think about, if we do think of ourselves as a profession.

  First off, @ 1.95 you wouldn't even break even, unless perhaps you
  don't
  need the money and don't figure overhead into your estimates. It
  will cover
  supplies but that's about it.

  There is nothing wrong with "book repair," and their is a difference

  between conservation and repair. Both are equally appropriate for
  certain
  materials. We do it in libraries all the time. Different items
  justify
  different treatments.

  To answer Denis Gouey's questions.

  The function of the list is not to set prices, but I think we can
  all help
  each other by discussing the issue. This is something the Guild of
  Book
  Workers could be helping it's membership with, but last time I
  checked it
  did not want to consider itself a professional organization, because
  that
  might assume serving some "regulating" (used very loosely) role.

  A agree there are a lot of hacks out there doing book repair and
  calling it
  conservation, but since there is no agreement on what constitutes
  repair,
  conservation, restoration, repair and to whom, let's just stay away
  from
  semantics, for now.

  I firmly you believe, "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR." A also believe in
  pricing
  we should be uniform among client groups. Just because they're
  Bibles, or
  churches doesn't mean we should charge less. People need to be aware
  of the
  costs. We all complain about living wages, the cost of living...
  Well,
  sometimes we do it to ourselves. Some people just want cheap, but
  then they
  need to be aware of what that means. It "quality" of the work
  doesn't
  necessarily have to do with cost though. We can do very effective,
  elegant,
  repairs for about the same as a hack job. It depends on your
  experience,
  and we should always do the best work we can, regardless. We should
  also
  ALWAYS be working on improving our skills and pushing ourselves to
  excel.

  So Denis.

  My hourly, regardless is currently $50/hr. Of course I can do 10
  simple
  cloth rebukes (repairs) in an hour, though not for days on end so it
  might
  cost $10 ea.

  Since I'm employed in an institution of higher learning to conserve,

  restore, preserve and yes, on occasion, repair, my private work is
  considered moonlighting. I treat it as a business of course and
  deduct
  whatever there is to deduct and charge the true cost of the
  materials. Even
  though my overhead is less than yours might be, assuming you rent
  your
  studio separately from home, I won't charge less than those who do
  this
  full time. I consider it unethical, and why should I cheat myself.
  My
  training has cost me as well, so might as well try to recoup part of
  the
  investment at least.

  As to your hypothetical full chieftain with raised bands... Are we
  sewing
  from scratch, how many sections, laced on boards, or case
  construction,
  what kind of tooling/titling?

  For argument. I'll assume 20 sections with 5 raised.

  Prepare endsheets (paper leather joint) .5 hours
  Sew, .5 hours
  Forward (round, back, endband, line) 1.5 hours

  1/2 skin (ca 3 sq. ft) @ $15/ft sq = $45 ( I always charge for 1/2
  skin,
  for a full binding unless of course it's bigger. Small rebukes,
  fudge it...
  Scraps.
  Pare .5 hours
  Cover / turn-in .5 hours
  Trim out / fill in .5 hours
  Put down ends... .5 hours
  Finish (very simple blind tooling / STAMPED label in gold) 1.5 hours

  Total
  Supplies $60
  Hourly 6 hours @ $50/hr = $300base.

  Total Probably $350.

  (Might has missed something here. Also wasn't assuming any mending.
  Coffee
  / lunch breaks not included. Also assume that I have other jobs in
  the shop
  so that I can get efficiency savings and not putter around for a day

  waiting for the book to dry.)

  Bucheinbandkunst ist Architektur in kleinstem Massstab
  Otto Dorfner

  Peter Verheyen, Conservation Librarian
  Syracuse University Library
  Syracuse, NY 13244