Re: Repair <- vs -> conserve

Denis

I agree, in-principle, with your statement about the hourly rate, but would
find it hard, if not impossible to charge as much as you quote. On the
other hand, I might well have to AND keep the shop full.

If one can afford to be that choosey, I'm envious as hell. The type of work
being done also needs to justify the expense. For the average,
non-bibliophile, who isn't in the know, forget it. There will always be
those who know what things cost and has the desire and ability to pay the
"right" price. While it's important to educate the consumer about proper
materials, techniques... ultimately don't we have to be able to give them
what they want, right. We always have the option of turning the job down,
but not everyone (realistically) has that option.

In quoting one often don't know what's up until you start, and there are
always surprises. A job might take more or less time than quoted.

Unfortunately as in salaries, rates are often connected to the cost of
living, i.e. NYC is much more expensive than Syracuse, NY. Experience
should definitely count in pricing as well. Again, you get what you pay for...

I'd really like to have some other weigh in here. Those of you know who I
mean, the conservators, edition binders, ... What about the consumers
perspective, any dealers, publishers want to chime in...

Peter

>Peter D. Verheyen wrote:
>
>  So what do you charge for the same job. I guess it also depends on
>  where
>  you are, but this is just based on what was charged when I was
>  working in
>  Chicago, and from information passed on by others. Your breakdown
>  brings up
>  some interesting things though.
>
>  Peter
>

> Turns out the average price I charge for a full leather is about the
>same as you. The time spent on it is about 3 hours. I like my hourly
>rate to be $100. Unfortunatly it does not seem that I am consistantly
>making that...Murphy's law.
>To conduct business seriously and have an adequate standard of living, a
>person in our business in private practice should charge $125 to $150 an
>hour, no matter where you live.Not easy.
>
>--
>
>Denis Gouey
>
>Denis Gouey Bookbinding Studio
>PO Box 383 Norfolk CT, 06058
>
>860 542 5063
>
>http://w3.nai.net/~bbliopeg

Bucheinbandkunst ist Architektur in kleinstem Massstab
Otto Dorfner

Peter Verheyen, Conservation Librarian
Syracuse University Library
Syracuse, NY 13244