Re: pricing

I know what he meant, I read it.We obviously do not think on the same
wawelength. If you read what I have written so far you will understand
that I am all for free enterprise. I am firmly against subsidies ,
specially when it is given to keep my competition afloat. Besides, I do
not need a business lesson, thank you, I have had the studio open for 18
years now and I have had my share of experience. If you like to comment
further on my lack of understanding, please identify yourself by signing
your mail.

patriot@xxxxxxx wrote:

  I think you have misunderstood Steven completely.  When he said, "No

  bookbinder, professional or otherwise, has an ethical expectation of
  any
  sort of income or salary at all."  =I= think he meant that by merely

  hanging out a shingle you are not guaranteed ANY income at all,
  merely the
  opportunity in a free-enterprise system to profit if your efficiency
  and
  enterprise make that possible.  Where would any guaranteed income
  come FROM
  ?  Grants, tax subsidy, what ?  He said nothing whatever about what
  rates
  you charge per hour, he merely observed that whatever that rate may
  be,
  there must be those who will pay it in order for you to earn at all.

  You "may" wind up, with good business practice, efficient work
  habits and
  frugal use of materials, making more than you "expected" to earn
  yearly.
  But you also may not - the customer's don't come, someone else opens

  another studio and under-prices you, you picked the wrong location,
  etc.,
  etc. etc.

  > Horse feathers,
  >as far as Ii know, it is impossible to get oil from a moonlighting
  well
  >driller;

  H. L. Hunt would beg to differ with you - he made his millions by
  "wildcatting" which is the oilman's equivalent of "moonlighting".
  He was
  so broke many times that he often borrowed $5.00 from my uncle and
  ate at
  my Grandmother's hotel "on the cuff" when he was "down".

  > Institution conservators should not be forced to
  >take outside jobs to bring their earnings to a decent level.

  What makes you think that is the reason that they do it ?  Their
  salaries
  may be quite adequate but they may have the urge to make more when
  they
  can, no ?  Just free enterprise at work.

  >In your last sentence, you expect us to believe that bookbinders
  should
  work for free or to quote you, they should have" no ethical
  expectation of
  any salary at all".
  >Why not bring back slavery while you are at it.

  I don't think he said any such thing, he said, in effect, that their
  work
  would determine their income.  The more they did and the better they
  did
  it, the more they "might" earn - but still no guarantees just as
  there are
  none in any business venture.

--

Denis Gouey