Fw: Papermaking

I have been making paper in a blender for a couple of years.  Having just
burnt out my second one I am in the process of trying to build a beater
based on the Tightwad Beater shown in Lee MCDonald's North American Beater
Review booklet, available from Carriage House Paper.  This is a good review
of beaters, none really suited to the casual home user, but still worth
shooting for I think.

Still, I have had lots of fun experimenting with my blender paper.  I have
used various plant fibers, lye boiled some seaweed, and bought some pulp
from Lee.  Most of my base stock came from recycled office paper, certainly
not "perfectly good" for anything else anymore and in plentiful supply.
What you end up with is great paper for all kinds of projects including
cards, notes, journals and book covers.  It is not archival quality but it
IS fun.

Get a catalog from Lee McDonald or Carraige House and get some pigments and
other fun stuff and away you go.

Lee Cooper

----------
> From: Barbara Holl <bholl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: Papermaking
> Date: Wednesday, April 30, 1997 1:23 AM
>
> Daniel,
>
> I don't have the space to make paper from scratch, so to speak, but I do
> recycle old papers into new, innovative papers.  I use them to make
books,
> use in layering in my rubber stamping and trade with others who also
> recycle.
>
> Give it a try.  Just don't use construction paper.  You can even use
dryer
> lint!
>
> Barbara
> bholl@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, Daniel Warren wrote:
>
> > I've been dabbling in making some paper and have a question which must
have
> > been asked before.  Books I've read on the subject seem to be divided
into
> > to camps; those that describe the industrial process and those for the
> > hobbyist which say things like "shred some paper and put it in the
blender".

> > I just don't see the aesthetic appeal of making paper out of perfectly
> > good...paper.  But the processes described in the other books for
pulping
> > rags are way beyond what I can do at home. (where would I put a
Hollander