Re: pricing-- a reply to Denis

Denis Gouey wrote:

>I will respect your opinion about the bookbinding and conservation business
>when you present me with credential on the topic.

A splendid example of the genetic fallacy; viz. the view that the origin of
a statement has a bearing on its truth value. I suspect that you would find
it uncompelling for me to merely announce that I am an expert in ethics,
declare that you are not, and subsequently ignore your arguments. It is
reason that matters, not the declarations of "authority". Moreover, I made
no *business* pronouncements, merely some observations about ethics.

> my saying that you do not have a clue about the business is no more
>insulting >than you saying that I did not understand a post. Does this
>imply that I do not >have the intelligence to understand?

I quite agree. Both are insulting. However, I never said that you did not
understand one of my posts. I believe that you have confused me with
another of your interlocutors.

>Speaking of farming, your apple analogy does
>not make any sense when applied to thread number 2, the apples you are
>selling at any sort of price have grown on a tree owned by the public.

Again we are in agreement, which is why I have said nothing about thread no.2.

>To answer thread number 1, there is no problem for any one to charge
>lower prices than the competition, as long as it is done at their own
>cost

Terrific! We do not seem to be at odds with each other :-) This is my
position exactly.

>do "ethical expectation of income" applies to academics as well as
>journeymen?

Of course. I hope people will pay me to talk about philosophy with them,
but I am as subject to the the caprice of the free market as anyone else,
and do not grouse that my salary is far less than that of doctors or
lawyers who have no more education than I do.

Steve

Steven D. Hales
Assistant Professor                     email: hales@xxxxxxxxxx
Department of Philosophy                phone: (717) 389-4229
Bloomsburg University                   fax: (717) 389-2094
Bloomsburg, PA 17815