Re: pricing-- a reply to Denis

Great, I am glad to know that we agree on some points, althought I still
think that if you tackle a subject, you ought to know it, I , for
example, would be lost on a discussion on quantum physics.
I must assume that you have business experiences  outside the academic
circle otherwise you would not be speaking on good or bad business
practices. Ethics looks good on paper, lets see how they really
translate on the field, and with this in mind,  may be we may learn from
your  expertise on ethics and from your arguments on thread 2. :
moonlighting at tax payer's cost and federally sponsored tax exempt not
for profit organizations going after private practices customers.
Please tell us , what are the ethics of such practices?

Steven D. Hales wrote:

  Denis Gouey wrote:

  >I will respect your opinion about the bookbinding and conservation
  business
  >when you present me with credential on the topic.

  A splendid example of the genetic fallacy; viz. the view that the
  origin of
  a statement has a bearing on its truth value. I suspect that you
  would find
  it uncompelling for me to merely announce that I am an expert in
  ethics,
  declare that you are not, and subsequently ignore your arguments. It
  is
  reason that matters, not the declarations of "authority". Moreover,
  I made
  no *business* pronouncements, merely some observations about ethics.

  > my saying that you do not have a clue about the business is no
  more
  >insulting >than you saying that I did not understand a post. Does
  this
  >imply that I do not >have the intelligence to understand?

  I quite agree. Both are insulting. However, I never said that you
  did not
  understand one of my posts. I believe that you have confused me with

  another of your interlocutors.

  >Speaking of farming, your apple analogy does
  >not make any sense when applied to thread number 2, the apples you
  are
  >selling at any sort of price have grown on a tree owned by the
  public.

  Again we are in agreement, which is why I have said nothing about
  thread no.2.

  >To answer thread number 1, there is no problem for any one to
  charge
  >lower prices than the competition, as long as it is done at their
  own
  >cost

  Terrific! We do not seem to be at odds with each other :-) This is
  my
  position exactly.

  >do "ethical expectation of income" applies to academics as well as
  >journeymen?

  Of course. I hope people will pay me to talk about philosophy with
  them,
  but I am as subject to the the caprice of the free market as anyone
  else,
  and do not grouse that my salary is far less than that of doctors or

  lawyers who have no more education than I do.

  Steve

  Steven D. Hales
  Assistant Professor                     email: hales@xxxxxxxxxx
  Department of Philosophy                phone: (717) 389-4229
  Bloomsburg University                   fax: (717) 389-2094
  Bloomsburg, PA 17815

--

Denis Gouey

Denis Gouey Bookbinding Studio