Re: Sophism

Yesterday Jack Thompson wrote, "I like to think that I write clearly", and
proceeded to accuse me of "dissembling" for failing to appreciate his
sumptuous prose. Today he called me a "sophist," indicating that I am
solely concerned with glib arguments.

While no doubt he is correct about my character failings, pointing them out
does not help us discover the truth about moral issues pertaining to
bookbinding and conservation. Nor does it help me to see the weaknesses in
the arguments I have tendered on this issue. How we should behave and treat
others is an important matter to me, which is one reason I got a Ph.D. in
philosophy. I regret that an obvious moral expert like Mr. Thompson has
chosen to cite my failings as a person instead of provide me with the
instruction he so perspicuously observes that I need. Therefore, I see no
profit in further participation in this thread.

Steven D. Hales
Assistant Professor                     email: hales@xxxxxxxxxx
Department of Philosophy                phone: (717) 389-4229
Bloomsburg University                   fax: (717) 389-2094
Bloomsburg, PA 17815