Re: Book Press vs Copy Press

At 03:14 PM 5/4/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I purchased from a printer what looks to be a book press, but he told me it
>is actually a copy press.
>
>My question is thus...is this in fact a copy press?  Does anyone know where
>I can research this piece of equipment?  I do, in fact, use it as a book
>press and it works quite well.

It is probably a copy press but copy presses are in many a bindery today. I
have a beautiful one (often they are quite ornate) mounted on a table made
for it. I have had ones similar to what you describe; had a Victorian press
with cast filligree.  They come in all sizes and styles. Generally, as with
yours, there is not much daylight since they were used for copying as you
described. Presses designed for binderies had more daylight to accommodate
books.  The largest one I ever had (I think it was a copy press) weighted
about 300 lb., had the Santa Fe Ry logo on it and a platen about 18" x 24".
It had only 4 or 5 inches of daylight.  Does your press have any markings
on it? I make fine wood presses (when the mood strikes me) and occasionally
buy and sell metal ones, but I don't have any research material on them,
other than the few pictures of bindery presses in Sterne's CATALOGUE OF
NINETEENTH CENTURY BINDERY EQUIPMENT, Cincinnati, 1978, and in some old
printers' equipment catalogues. In sum, copy presses make very good
standing presses and nipping presses for one person binderies. Hope you
enjoy yours.

Sam Lanham

Sam Lanham (slanham@xxxxxxxx)

It ain't the heavy haulin' that hurts the horse.  It's the clop, clop, clop
on the hard highway.
                                ----Ray Wynn, west Galveston Island