Re: storage of paper

Coming from a long line of 'collectors' I learned early about using the
space above my head for storage. Even with standard height ceilings it is
possible to build racks for storing rolled up book cloth, lightweight
papers that can be stored rolled and even flat work, although the flat work
is difficult to access quickly. I would have a hard(er) time with storage
if I hadn't traded a painting for a 7 drawer set of flat files a cabinet
maker made for me. Before my studio was built, the files doubled as a table
in the living room. I keep a set of index cards for each drawer telling
what the drawer's contents are so I don't subject the contents (both papers
and flat artwork) to unnecessary handling. I also have a 'map' of every
storage area I use (including the ceiling racks) detailing what is stored
where, for the same reason.Smaller pieces of paper go into smaller boxes -
I usually get fed up after a while with the smaller pieces and take them to
the elementary/middle school where I teach literacy through book arts.
Alicia Bailey