Re: List changes (actually saving email)

Sam Lanham wrote:

> At 09:40 AM 5/8/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >I'm surprised at the number of people who print out email. Why do you
> >do this? You already have the perfect storage medium -- your harddisk,
>
> Well, let's see, Harmon--
>
> 1. I just naturally like the print medium better than the electronic

     So do I, for reading fiction, poetry, etc. For just plain info,
I'd  only want electronic media, so I can do keyword searching, as I can
on email, for expample. I don't keep any of the discussions on ethics,
etc. Just the facts. 8-)

> 2. I never had my notebook crash or a drive go bad or a disk become defective.

   Well, I've had the roof leak and destroy a whole pile of notebooks,
back in the days before I had a computer, and did all my writing with
pen and paper.

> 3. My printout on good paper will physically outlast the current electronic
> media.
> 4. My printout on good paper will be easily accessible to my great
> grandchildren without concern for obsolescence of the media or the hardware.

    These are the standard fallacies I keep hearing around libraries
(I'm a librarian) when the subject of preservation comes up. They ignore
the fact that digital material can be copied, over and over and over, to
as many formats as your heart desires, even back to the original paper
-- and with absolute error correction. Sure, the hardrive can crash --
one assumes regular backups, meaning at least weekly, and daily if it's
important enough. My word processor backs up my work every 3 minutes.
OTOH, I haven't had a drive crash in a long, long time.
   There's simply no way that it can become obsolete -- what's on your
drive today just gets copied to the next media format with a click of
the mouse.

--
Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxxx hseaver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Facts an' facts, an' t'ings an' t'ings: dem's all a lotta fockin'