Re: Bridges to the past; links to the future

Jack C. Thompson wrote:
>hat
> time (over ten years ago) there were already tens of thousands of reels of
> electronic data which were inacessible because either the machines required
> to read them, or the software to interpret them were unavailable.
>
> Some people think that CD's are a useful answer; I can only suggest that
> those people attempt to find a machine which will play a wire recording.

   Yes, that's the same tired old arguement I keep hearing in libraries
-- it's nonsense. You want a wire recorder? I just happen to have one,
but even more, it wouldn't be at all that hard to build a new one. Old
floppy disks? 8"?? 5"?? Drives are readily available. Software
conversions for the old CP/M stuff is readily available also -- or any
other format that I can think of.
    But that's really begging the issue, isn't it? The point is, with
digitized information -- and your wire-recordings aren't digital of
course -- the ease of copying the data to the new format makes the dying
of the old format irrelevant.
    Unless, of course, those in charge of the archives choose not to do
so in a timely manner -- and then, I say, shame on them. And they should
be held accountable for betraying their trust, if it's a public one. If
it's your own stuff and you didn't take the time to copy it, shame on
you, but don't whine about it. And it's probably not too late, you can
find the drives, even the computers.

--
Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxxx hseaver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Facts an' facts, an' t'ings an' t'ings: dem's all a lotta fockin'