Royalties

Artemis
Some info About my royalties experience. I've had one book published by
Scholastic Professional Books. They have a complicated royalty structure
with different percentages depending on how and where they are sold.
They run from 6% to 10%, with fortunately most sold in the higher
category. The trade books sold in bookstores are 10% of the list price.
Some of the others are of the wholesale price. I get a royalty statement
twice a year, and have finally started to get checks along with it. I
got an advance which means you don't get a check until the advance is
paid back. As you know, I'm working on a new book and am starting my own
publishing company. Some useful resources are

The Self-Publishing Handbook, Dan Poynter, Para Publishing, PO Box 8206,
Santa Barbara, CA 93118-8206, available direct or in bookstores

The Complete Guide to Self-Publishing, Tom and Marilyn Ross, Writer's
Digest Books, Cincinnatti, OH

Kirsch's Handbook of Publishing Law, Jonathan Kirsch, Acrobat books, PO
Box 870, Venice, CA 90294, I ordered mine direct.

I joined the Publishers Marketing Assn which has an excellent newsletter
and sponsors an annual 2 day conference in Chicago which I am attending
for the 2nd year this May. They are at
627 Aviation Way, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266, 310/372-2732,
e-mail: PMAOnline@xxxxxxx They have an online list. I couldn't keep up
with the volume, but it is worthwhile.

All of these sources deal with more commercial publishing than artists
books usually are, but I think are worthwhile reading. Hope this helps.
Susan

Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord
Newburyport, MA