Re: Readin', wRitin', and Radio (yak)

In a message dated 97-05-21 13:38:29 EDT, elde@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Derek Lyons)
writes:
<< Either the book must pay for itself, or the publisher must have a source
of
 other income to offset the (ongoing?) loss. >>

What you say is true, but traditionally many publishers used to publish books
that had very limited public appeal and it was the more profitable works that
subsidized what many have felt to be important in the field of literature.
 Poetry is one example of a type of manuscript that may be very important to
preserve and nurture, but such volumes were not necessarily expected to pay
for themselves.

Of course you mention the refusal of certain chain outlets to carry books
that are not sellers and this to adds to the dilemma.  I guess the time of
conscientious concern and committment is a little different these days.
 Thank goodness for small houses and University presses.  I'm sure I sound
like I'm painting the sky black but it isn't really, only a little dimmer,
that's all.

Chris Ray

http://members.aol.com/crocusdes