Re: Readin', wRitin', and Radio (yak)

At 06:57 AM 5/22/97 UT, you wrote:
>As a small independent  bookseller myself, I would like to pose the following
>question:
>Why should any bookseller, always strapped for cash and shelf space,  carry a
>title that does not sell?  What is the point?  This is the domain of the
>library I think.
not "should," but it's nice when they do, at least sometimes. I've known a
few people who have owned bookstores, and it seems to me they all do it for
different reasons. Strictly to make an income, without any thought for
having a particular kind of bookstore, a particular kind of client, a
community mission of sorts -- is, among the people I know, the rarest of
reasons.

Libraries are rather stuck, too, at least the public ones. They have to
have their 50 copies of pop titles (Judith Kranz, etc.) because the public
wants them. And there goes their budget, so they can't get the small press
items. The average poetry section at a public library is not much better
than at a mid-sized Barnes & Noble. Slightly better at the really big
Barnes & Nobles or a Borders.

charles alexander / chax press / chax@xxxxxxxxxxxx