Re: Concertina Binding

Robyn Sassen wrote:

> Dear Book Arts People
>
> I am currently working on a project and would be interested in your
> collective 2c worth in terms of a possible solution.  The project
> comprises four books, focusing on different aspects of a particular
> theme.  The first book is to be concertina bound - with an etched
> image for both the title page and the colophon and the contents pages
> all drawn in pen and ink.  Now my problem lies in the logistics of
> soaking and printing the stuff.  I previously have made a book with a
> concertina bind, but found when it came to printing the soaked and
> folded loooong piece of paper, that it fell to pieces under the
> pressure of the intaglio press.  Would it make sense for me to print
> my title and colophonic page on separate pieces of paper and then
> hinge them onto the main body of work?  Or what else?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Robyn Sassen
> mephisto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to me like your paper was too wet- I printed a concertina book on
stonehenge but misted the paper lightly and left it overnight between
blotters in a garbage bag.  Try BFK from a roll, which is unsized and
requires very little moistening.  What kind of paper were you using that
fell apart?
You can certainly print on other paper and tip in or chine colle-
depends on the combination of papers and what you're using as the
support sheet.
Tara Bryan