[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: LEGAL DEPOSIT OF BOOKS
- To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: LEGAL DEPOSIT OF BOOKS
- From: Sam Lanham <slanham@xxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 09:07:52 -0400
- In-reply-to: <199705260706.CAA16274@austin.sig.net>
- Message-id: <199705261308.GAA18650@SUL-Server-2.Stanford.EDU>
- Sender: "The Book Arts: binding, typography, collecting" <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Thanks to Jack Ginzberg and Pippa for the details of the case. In the US we
also have a constitutional protection against the taking of property
without due compensation. That's why the requirement of copies for the LOC
is attached to the privilege of registering the copyright and is not
(cannot be, I would argue) a general requirement for all published works.
Perhaps the new constitution in South Africa will produce the same result.
Please keep us informed of subsequent developments.
Sam Lanham (slanham@xxxxxxxx)