[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Definition of "chine colle"

At 12:25 AM 5/26/97 -0230, you wrote:
>"tip in or chine
>> colle" papers in a concertina binding.  Could you please explain what "chine
>> colle" is?Chine colle is a sort of collage technique used in intaglio
>whereby a (usually thinner) piece of paper is adhered to a heavier
>sheet and printed simultaneously.  With a very thin coat of methyl
>cellulose or rice paste or pva on the back, the thin paper is positioned
>face down on the plate, the heavier paper then placed on top and the
>pile run through the press.  IT TAKES VERY LITTLE ADHESIVE, and you
>don't want the adhesive to squish out when it goes through the press, so
>a bit of experimentation is required.

One method that simplifies chine colle is to screen print neutral pH wheat
paste on to the paper before printing.  The thin colle paper may have to be
made in a large sheet and dried like stretched watercolor paper (paper taped
to a board) to dry flat.  Cut to size, mist lightly with water to print.
The moisture from the dampened receiver sheet (Arches or Rives or what have
you) will activate the paste and adhere the papers together as the press and
blankets prints the image.  It appears to be a lot of work at first but the
prep work is worth it if your running an edition of any size.  A coarse
screen fabric will do fine.


      M I C H A E L   M O R I N                  M.F.A., M.L.S.
    Director Celtic Press                Instructional Media Librarian
     Buffalo  New York                   D'Youville College Library
 Member Buffalo Free-Net Information Development Committee
       Member Buffalo Free-Net Executive Board of Directors

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]