Re: Jennifer's post & responses

Because I get book arts in digest form right now, this reply may be a day
late . . .

Jennifer, as others have stated or implied -- please stay on the list.
There are caring people here, with solutions and suggestions for all kinds
of situations regarding books, and sometimes with provoking conversation
about issues in book arts and issues which reach more widely than the book
arts. Sounds to me like you will be one of this kind of people.
And sometimes there are replies or back-and-forth posts which are not so
nice. Ignore them, or take what you can from information they contain.

And although I agree with the post in response to yours that the written
word  "is void of vice, tone, body language and eye contact," I do think
that writing carries lots of tone and inflection. For example, the care and
compassion in responses to you was very evident. There may not be a lot of
great literature on this e-list or any other, but there are some writers
capable of inscribing emotion into their words.

Seems to me you'll find more colleges with book arts programs at Peter
Verheyen's web site, which is at
http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey/

And there are other places to study book arts/book making which may not
offer specific degrees in it, but which are still quite good, and whose
grads have gone on to do a lot in book arts. I think of the Art Dept. at
the U of Wisconsin, Madison, as one such place. Personally I like the idea
of studying book making in a wider context, whether it's a wider art
context, literary context, or a context of librarianship, or whatever. But
that's certainly not the only way.

charles

charles alexander / chax press / chax@xxxxxxxxxxxx