[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: spokeshave

Hmmmm, do you know what a "plane" is ??  Assuming that you do, a spokeshave
is a specialized plane and is (usually) quite small with two handles, one
each side and a flat plate with a very sharp blade that protrudes at a
"setable" distance.  When you use it on the edges of leather for bindings,
it "thins" the leather so that some of the bulk is removed and makes
tuck-in and folding much easier.  It was a tool that originally was used to
"shave" spokes for wagon wheels to round and taper them.

At 01:07 PM 6/3/97 -0500, you wrote:
>        excuse my ignorance... but what is *spokeshaving*
>        thanks,
>                mary
David in Maryland

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]