Re: PVA Ventilation

At 04:01 PM 6/3/97 EDT, you wrote:
>Hi! I work in a small studio space in the back of my basement that only
has one
>window at the frontside of my condo.  I feel like it's not good for me to
>breathe in the PVA fumes and I'm interested in finding out anyone's
suggestion
>for an exhaust fan.
>        1. What should I look for in an exhaust fan?  (I need it to be no
more
>than 14"x14")
>        2. Should I be concerned by the PVA fumes? (I am making one-of-a-kind
>books and am in the studio two or three days a week.)
>        3. Should I be concerned with how I wash my brushes?  (I only have
>access to the kitchen sink.)
>
>Any input would be greatly appreciated, by me and other members of my
household
>who feel like I am affixiating myself!  Marcia Buch buch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Marcia!

I don't seem to recall anyone being too too concerned about PVA fumes where
I worked with PVA 35 hours a week. In the space that I worked, there were
no windows, so we didn't have much of a choice!  As for washing brushes,
the kitchen sink should be fine, just be sure that they are cleaned well
and  to use some sort of soap - perhaps something on the mild side so your
brushes stay happy - as PVA is not soluble in water. You can get soap
specifically for cleaning brushes at any ol' art supply store. I think that
is what we used.

At any rate, good luck! Hope this was helpful somewhat!

Tara
All violence is the illustration of a pathetic stereotype.
                -Barbara Kruger, 1991

Tara Kennedy
Acquisitions Assistant
Trinity College Library