Bookbinding in California

> >I would appreciate any information on
> >classes of groups that instruct on this within the San Jose, California
> >area. If you are not sure, maybe a referal to someone who might have this
> >type of information.
> >Thank you,
> >
> >Richard Pontius
> >NHIR Books
> >8200 Kern Avenue, Suite E-204
> >Gilroy, CA 95020
> >408.847.0621
> >e-mail: Rhinos1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Richard,

The UCSC Extension program offers courses in bookbinding.  Right now, I
am taking "The Elements of Bookbinding" through this program from Peggy
DeMouthe, who is a wonderful instructor.  Class size is about 20 people.
In August, she is teaching an intermediate class in Cupertino entitled
"Intermediate Bookibinding: Skills and Techniques" which will use paper,
cloth, wool, sheep vellum, and metal as some of the materials.  For a
cataloque, contact University of California Extension, 740 Front St.,
Suite 155, Santa Cruz, CA 95060.  Or call the Extension office at
1-800-660-8639.

If you can travel as far as Felton, there is a handbindery that offers
beginning and advanced classes . Class size is limited to 6 people and
the instructor is also excellent.  For information, contact Jytte
(pronounced Uta in my ignorant Danish) at Danskbog Hand Bookbindery, P.O.
Box 1047, Felton, CA 95018.

Hope this helps.  If you want any more information about my personal
experience with these classes, feel free to contact me off the list.

Crista Cannariato
cristac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx