leather doublures

I am beginning  work on a book I'd like to do with leather doublures.
Further, I'd like to use leather onlays on the doublures. I've done
larger onlays on the outside boards and was surprised by the amount of
pull exerted: enough to need to reline the inner boards to straighten
them again. My concern in doing leather doublures and  onlays on the
inner boards is that I don't know how much they'll warp the boards
inward, and once warped, how will I counteract the pull? Is there a way
to build up my doublure complete with onlays before attaching it to the
inner board? Is there a rule of thumb to use in lining or not lining the
boards before the book is recovered?

Bob