Typography

>Jan Tschichold's books on typographic design are very much >concerned with
asymmetrical typography, the style of the >Bauhaus. You might also be
interested in the work of George >Mackie, Berthold Wolpe and Rocky Stinehour.

Which reminds me, you may be interested in this nice catalog of the 1988
Willem Sandberg exhibit at the Center for Book Arts. This and other CBA
publications are catalogued at:

http://minsky.com/cbapub.htm

Willem Sandberg from the Netherlands

This exhibition presented the work of the typographer and book designer,
Willem Sandberg (1897-1984). The outstanding
characteristic of Sandberg's design is its vitality. Time has not diminished
its impact, rather we now see more clearly his
inventiveness and variety. Sandberg delighted in playing off the severe
shapes of type against collage, torn paper, and objets
trouves. His pamphlets, books, catalogs, and posters combine colors,
languages and typefaces in a dazzling display of
imagination. Illustrated. 32 pp. On view at the Center for Book Arts' Book
Arts Gallery May - June 1988. $10

            Richard
            http://minsky.com